Aliens & UFOs Among Us/Free the Herd Forum
Aliens & UFOs Among Us/Free the Herd Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Aliens & UFOs Among Us/Free the Herd
 O.T. and Site Info
 Tech support forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  09:05:39 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, I like to think of myself as a semi-expert when it comes to computers, and am eager to help anyone in need.

If you have a problem with your PC, please post it here, and I'll do my best to help.

Obviam Machina
-------------------------
"It's not just idle fact, it's cold hard speculation"
---------------------------------------------------------
"And all, but Lust, is turned to dust
In Humanity's machine."
-Oscar Wilde, The ballad of Reading Gaol.

"The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall." - Che Guevara.
"As long as I breathe I hope. As long as I breathe I shall fight for the future." -Leon Trotsky

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Elrick
Galactic Member

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  09:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Elrick's Homepage Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh cool, thx Grey.

"For the devout believer, no evidence is necessary. For the devout skeptic, no evidence will suffice."
Go to Top of Page

HumanAlien
Galactic Member

USA
3821 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  10:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit HumanAlien's Homepage Send HumanAlien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this works out then maybe this should be a sticky, so that
people can find it easily.

------------------------------------------------------------

You Are A Spirit Having A Human Experience!
Go to Top of Page

Elrick
Galactic Member

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  09:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Elrick's Homepage Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got one for you Grey. What do you know about the black screen of death in vista? It's where when you boot up, all you get is a black screen with a white mouse. You can move the mouse around but there is nothing to click on. There are 2 versions of this, one where you can still boot into safe mode and effect manual repairs and then the more severe one where you cannot boot into safe mode. After a minute or so of the black screen, the effected pc will automatically reboot and it's a never ending cycle of black screen/reboot. Have you ever encountered this yet? There are several things on the net that you can try but they don't usually work if you have the one where you cannot boot to safe mode.

"For the devout believer, no evidence is necessary. For the devout skeptic, no evidence will suffice."
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  09:37:56 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean like this You must be logged in to see this link. ?

It usually means a file is missing, which you could try to track down which file is missing, or you could reinstall windows. It may also be caused by your BIOS being corrupted, or other reasons.

I had this the other day, as I put some registry information in wrong, and I had to reinstall windows. If you don't mind losing the files on the disk, you could try to reinstall windows, but try and back up in safe mode beforehand.

Before you try that though, you could try using a bootable CD such as Ultimate Boot CD for windows that would let you access your hard drive, or at least it should do.

You can download that here:
You must be logged in to see this link.

If that fails to access the disk, then you should reinstall windows.

Obviam Machina
In Humanity's machine."

"The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall." - Che Guevara.
"As long as I breathe I hope. As long as I breathe I shall fight for the future." -Leon Trotsky
Go to Top of Page

Elrick
Galactic Member

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  09:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Elrick's Homepage Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is very similar only instead of the cursor you have a mouse. yeah there are several ways to get it. I got it from a scandisk check deleting a file after a major crash. I just re-installed vista after several hours of headache. I could not even get into safe mode though so there was no getting info off of pc before a reset. Luckily though vista saves all your old data in a folder it creates on install called windows.old so I didnt lose anything. Windows repair or resetting to an earlier time seemed ineffective.

The major crash was my fault but it looked like I was about to get infected by something that was selfinstalling on reboot so I did an emergency shutdown and likely corrupted a file or I wasnt fast enough and the program did some damage before I got it all the way shut down. Not really for sure what was going on but I'm back in business again, woot!

Edited by - Elrick on 10/07/2009 10:03:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey El, if you think you have a virus and cannot boot the PC, you can download a bootable anti-virus disk here

If you change the first boot device to your CD drive in BIOs, then you can do a scan.

Obviam Machina
In Humanity's machine."

Go to Top of Page

Elrick
Galactic Member

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  10:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Elrick's Homepage Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah I tried. I even booted up from the vista disk but it was still very limited in what I could do. I didn't have a virus but that doesnt mean one wasnt trying to insert itself. It gave the impression of malware trying to intall on the reboot. I stopped that but ended up with a corrupted file that then got deleted. And it went by so quickly that I couldnt even catch the name of the file to try to just replace it. It was one of those weird system32 files that starts with a % or $ and not a letter. I couldnt figure out what exact file it was so just ended up re-installing vista. It was far less headache, lol. That option to repair windows boot up didnt work either. It just kept saying everything was fine and that windows was booting correctly when it obviously was not. Do you know of a scan tool that can detect missing critical windows files? That might have helped out. Although if there is a program I am not sure I would have been able to get it to run seeing how I really couldnt do anything without a desktop, command prompt or safe mode. I'm just glad Vista saves old windows files and programs under windows.old or I might have lost a ton of stuff. I hadn't backed up in a while so I am making sure I do that very soon, lol.

Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  11:15:53 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, when my laptop crashed I hadn't backed up my documents and other files, which I hadn't backed up. Learnt my lesson, lol.

Obviam Machina
In Humanity's machine."

Go to Top of Page

HumanAlien
Galactic Member

USA
3821 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  11:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit HumanAlien's Homepage Send HumanAlien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For future reference, how do you back up your personal files?
I know about the restore point program but i never have backed
up my personal files before.

Is there a backup program in vista?

Go to Top of Page

Elrick
Galactic Member

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  11:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elrick's Homepage Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont use any particular software but I bet Grey knows something to do it. There are several ways you could do it without a program. I large flash drive or external harddrive that you copy stuff over to. Or I occasionally back stuff up on dvd if it is stuff I want to permanently keep. There are even places online for storing your data. The last Dell we got came with some sort of online storage to backup your files at Dell but I never used it.

Go to Top of Page

Brandon Dennis
Galactic Member

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  05:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1 tb external drive that I save EVERYTHING to. It's relatively cheap ($100), relatively small, stores more than you could ever need, fast transfer speed, doesn't crash nearly as often as hard drives do because there's no moving parts, etc., etc. Also, check out You must be logged in to see this link. . It costs $50 for a year but it works in the background on your computer and just uploads everything you have over a long period whenever you're connected to the Internet. Thinking about getting it but I think it'd be a little paranoid considering the only way my external drive is going to crash anytime within the next 5 years is if I somehow manage to physically break it. Even if I did, the info would still be there as long as the chip survives. All I'd have to do is take it to someone who can extract the info and put it on a new drive.

Ok, I'm babbling.

Aaaaand...done.

The state is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If a Nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be... if we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." ~ Thomas Jefferson
"If you want peace prepare for war." ~ Vegetius
"We may stand alone.....but we stand alone together" ~ Brandon Dennis
My MSN messenger: Mr.BrandonDennis@gmail.com
My email address: Mr.BrandonDennis@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:11:54 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, if I were you I would buy an external hard drive and copy your files across. If you have your windows install disk, then you aready have a backup of your system, if you don't, then I can give you some software to make a image of your system files.

Also, you could use windows skydrive for online storage, or you could register with Yahoo mail as they give you unlimited space, and simply email all your files to yourself, for free, effective online storage.

Obviam Machina
In Humanity's machine."

Go to Top of Page

Daan
Galactic Member

Belgium
1552 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  10:07:18 AM  Show Profile Send Daan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehe, my brother has a 500 Gb external HD but it's full because we download way too many movies and shows... Thinking about buying a 1 TB ex. HD :D

"Don't challenge the world to change. Challenge yourself to change the world." - Brandon Dennis

Edited by - Daan on 10/08/2009 10:08:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

HumanAlien
Galactic Member

USA
3821 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit HumanAlien's Homepage Send HumanAlien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already save my files this way but i thought that maybe there
was a program out there some where that gathered all your personal
files for you and copied them to another drive.

I was hoping for an easier way to do it.

Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  3:19:00 PM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's one piece of software called DriveImage XML,

I've never used it, so can't vouch for it, so you'll want to research it before using it, but it will let you create a copy of your drive, and there is another program by the same company, which will let you download a bootable CD to restore your data using the copy.

Make sure you have some DVDs to burn to, don't use CDs, you'd need too many.

Obviam Machina
In Humanity's machine."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aliens & UFOs Among Us/Free the Herd Forum © 2002-2013 Aliens & UFOs Among Us Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2