Aliens & UFOs Among Us/Free the Herd Forum
Aliens & UFOs Among Us/Free the Herd Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Aliens & UFOs Among Us/Free the Herd
 O.T. and Site Info
 Tech support forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  3:34:55 PM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, computer security is a very important issue in these days of viruses, spyware, keyloggers, rootkits and much else.

I thought I'd create a small guide to help you protect your PC.

The most important step is to get a good antivirus and firewall.
For an antivirus, I recommend:
Avira Personal - This is the best free antivirus for you if you have less than 512MB RAM, it has high detection and is very light on resources, but does have a false positive problem.
Link: You must be logged in to see this link.

If you have more than 512MB RAM, I'd reccomend Avast 5 Free, which is very comprehensive for a free antivirus, it scans Files, HTTP Traffic, Network Traffic, Mail, P2P Traffic, IM messages, and also monitors program's behaviour. It's detection rate is very good, and it does not use very much memory or CPU power.

For a firewall, it all depends on how tech-savvy you are. If you know a fairly large amount about PC's, I'd reccomend Online Armor Free, which has a whitelist of trusted programs, is a very good firewall, and is light, but some of it's pop-ups require tech knowledge.

If you don't want to deal with the pop-ups, then you could install the above online armor, simply select "Trust everything on this computer" rather than run the wizard, and then from within the program, deactivate the "Program Guard" leaving just the firewall.

Warning: Online Armor is not compatible with 64-bit operating systems. It may or may not be compatible with Windows 7, I'm unsure, so check that.

If you're willing to pay for computer security, I reccomend either:
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
OR
Norton Internet Security 2010

Both are excellent suites.

Whatever you decide to install, you should also install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Superantispyware, and scan with them once a month, to check for any malware on your system.
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Elrick
Galactic Member

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  9:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elrick's Homepage Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thx Grey. That's awesome. That should help some people out.

"For the devout believer, no evidence is necessary. For the devout skeptic, no evidence will suffice."
Go to Top of Page

Daan
Galactic Member

Belgium
1552 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  1:15:15 PM  Show Profile Send Daan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grey has helped me a lot with protecting my new PC.
Avast is good but I ran out of free trial time on it... or whatever it is...

"Don't challenge the world to change. Challenge yourself to change the world." - Brandon Dennis
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What?

Ah yes, that is one thing. You have to register Avast. It doesn't cost anything, and once registered it lasts for a year. I think it does this to count how many users it has or some such thing.

"Even though you fool your soul, your conscience will be mine."
---------------------------------------------------------
"And all, but Lust, is turned to dust
In Humanity's machine."
-Oscar Wilde, The ballad of Reading Gaol.
"The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall." - Che Guevara.
"As long as I breathe I hope. As long as I breathe I shall fight for the future." -Leon Trotsky
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde.
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  3:29:18 PM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A big problem for users who aren't so tech-savvy as others is Rogue Antiviruses.

These are programs which pop-up a window telling the user that they are infected (I expect you've all seen one) and tells you to clean your computer. If you click that button, then run the .exe provided, then you will be infected by the rogue, which will ask you to buy it to clean your PC. The fee is usually around $40-50

It is of the utmost importance you do not enter your details, for, not only does the Rogue not protect you, but the scammers will then have your credit card details.

The way to deal with a rogue:
As soon as the window pops-up press Alt+F4. This will close the browser. Do not click the red x in the corner. If you do not, you may be infected. If you believe yourself to be infected, scan with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware as mentioned in my previous post.

For an example of a rogue AV, see Spysherrif:
You must be logged in to see this link.

For more information, see these pages:
remove-malware.com
and

The last two are very good anti-malware sites, I highly reccomend them.

Edited by - Grey on 03/12/2010 04:05:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

HumanAlien
Galactic Member

USA
3821 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  11:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit HumanAlien's Homepage Send HumanAlien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Comodo internet security. It's free to.
This seems to be pretty good because it catches every little thing
you do or what is trying to be uploaded into your pc.

Have you ever tried this software?

------------------------------------------------------------

You Are A Spirit Having A Human Experience!
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  12:59:50 PM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Comodo Internet Security is very good.

In fact, I've changed to that today from Online Armor Free and Avast. It's impressively light.
Go to Top of Page

HumanAlien
Galactic Member

USA
3821 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  12:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit HumanAlien's Homepage Send HumanAlien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to use Norton Internet Security but i found that it really
bogs down your pc. I used it for about 3 years and every year that i
upgraded to their new software, my pc ran slower and slower.

I finally decided to uninstall it and even that was a pain in the
a$$. When i finally got it uninstalled, it still left little files
everywhere and i had to hunt them down and delete them. I had to do
the same thing with the registry.

Norton does catch just about everything but like it said, it bogs
down your pc really bad.

I suppose any anti-virus/firewall software will slow your pc down
some since it has it's job to do, trying to catch anything that
doesn't belong on your hard drive but Norton seems to weave itself
all throughout your windows operating system and i didn't like that
at all.

I'm not trying to discredit you Grey but i had nothing but trouble
using Norton.

------------------------------------------------------------

You Are A Spirit Having A Human Experience!
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  05:49:11 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about me thinking you're trying to discredit me, H/A, lol.

But yeah, the old Norton's were bad, and left a lot of stuff behind like registry entries and files, but the more recent Nortons, from version 2009 onwards are much better, and it is now thought of as a very good suite.

Personally though, I would always try and make a good, free, configuration before I would buy a security product.

"Even though you fool your soul, your conscience will be mine."
"And all, but Lust, is turned to dust
In Humanity's machine."
-Oscar Wilde, The ballad of Reading Gaol.
"The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall." - Che Guevara.
"As long as I breathe I hope. As long as I breathe I shall fight for the future." -Leon Trotsky
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde.
Go to Top of Page

Elrick
Galactic Member

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  2:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elrick's Homepage Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Grey, sorry to bother but do you know any tricks to getting an older printer to play nice with Win 7? I use a Dell a920 (scanner, copier, printer combo) to make tab sheets for work and the Win 7 machines cannot connect to the printer. Been trying for 3 days. Evidentally there are no specific drivers for the printer for Win 7. You can get Vista 32 and 64 bit drivers though. The system with the printer attached is 32bit Vista and the machine I want to be able to print from (over the network) is Win 7. I can see the Vista machine and even transfer files between the 2. I have all the necessary stuff on like sharing and such. The Win 7 machine just cannot see the printer. Would I need the same drivers on both machines (32bit vs 64bit)? When I look up my printer on the Win 7 compatibility list, it says "Not Compatible". Know any tricks or will I have to buy a newer printer?

"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." ~ Buddha
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Galactic Member

Spain
646 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  5:03:05 PM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, El, I have no idea, I don't have much experience with printers. It'd be worth asking on another tech forum, though to see if anyone with more experience knows the answer.
Go to Top of Page

Elrick
Galactic Member

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  9:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elrick's Homepage Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh that's ok. It was worth a shot. I'm probably going to eventually just have to buy a newer one. It figures that older stuff wouldn't be compatible with the newer software. They have to keep that $$$ rolling in I suppose. Thanks all the same though.

"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." ~ Buddha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aliens & UFOs Among Us/Free the Herd Forum © 2002-2013 Aliens & UFOs Among Us Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2